Join the FPM Movember ChallengeOctober 29, 2014
It’s “Movember” and there’s more to it than just growing a moustache!October 29, 2014
Many of our male readers will, we hope, be growing their moustaches for this month of Movember.
The purpose of Movember is, as you no doubt know, to raise awareness about men’s health issues.
As Movember has absolutely nothing to do with short-term insurance, I thought I’d provide some content for this article that is unrelated to Movember but sure to be interesting. Here goes:
Some interesting facts about South Africa
- South Africa is the only country in the world to contain an entire floral kingdom within its borders.
- South Africa is the second largest exporter of fruit in the world.
- South Africa has the longest wine route in the world.
- South Africa has the cheapest electricity in the world – apparently! (Eish, kom nou!)
- South Africa has the deepest mine in the world – Western Deep Levels at 3581m.
- South Africa is the only country in the world to abandon its nuclear program voluntarily.
- South Africa has the deepest vertical man-made hole in the world – and it’s not the big one in Kimberley. In fact, it’s in the Free State town of Jaggersfontein. (The Russians have a deeper hole, but this was machine-drilled.)
- There are more than 2000 shipwrecks off the South African coast. No wonder insurance for boats is so expensive!
- 10% of the entire world’s bird species are found in South Africa (approx. 900 species).
- Pietermaritzburg’s City Hall is the largest red brick building in the Southern Hemisphere. (Now that is a piece of really useless information!)
Some other less glamorous facts
- There were close to 260,000 residential household burglaries in the 2013/2014 reporting period according to the latest annual police crime stats. That’s over 700 per day!
- Johannesburg Metro Police issues approx. 300,000 speeding fines per month (I wonder how many of these are legally enforceable or actually get paid?) while Cape Town Metro Police issue less than 30,000 speeding fines per month.
- A staggering R8.5 billion worth of vehicles are stolen in South Africa annually.
- 65% of the 6.5 million vehicles on South Africa’s roads are not insured.
Enjoy the itchy top lip, guys!
Short Term Relationship Director
0861 111 376
This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your financial adviser for specific and detailed advice.